Today would have been Grace’s 124th birthday. And more people know her story and care about what happens to her next than she ever could have imagined. I hear it all the time…when are you going to write the next book? My plans are to begin soon. Since my mother passed away I have found much inspiration from her boxes of genealogy research papers. Here are few things I’ve found:
- a picture of one of William and Grace’s sons when he was 2. She had it mounted under a clear paper weight. It is fading now, but I would love to try and get it restored.
- Uncle Bud’s family bible complete with his handwriting marking the births, marriages and deaths of family members.
- Grace’s journal of a trip she and William took out west.
- A turquoise and silver indian belt.
- Mary Elizabeth Ishmael’s crystal candy dish.
- A tiny porcelain cup that Sarah Kirwin gave to Grace when she was 12.
It has been exciting to discover these items, but it comes with such sadness. I can no longer call my mom for answers to questions I have. I’m on my own when it comes to writing book two. It won’t be the same. I will miss Mom with each page I write, but knowing she read and enjoyed Through The Eyes Of Grace before she passed away thrills my heart! And to think…she’s in Heaven with my grandmother telling her all about it.
Now that is something to ponder, isn’t it?